Thursday, April 30, 2009

How Do You Measure Unconditional Love?


There is nothing quite like a cat resting on my lap or nestled up against my legs in bed at night. Here are the current members of the family---Lizzie, Boy, Zeus and Linus. Actually, this is not quite accurate. Zeus, the black one with the white bib, died from complications of diabetes a few months back, but he still lurks around the house. For several weeks after he died, the other cats poked around under dust ruffles and furniture and in closets, looking for him, I think. I, too, kept expecting him to appear, and Boy stopped eating for 3 days before deciding that grief was no excuse for going on a hunger strike.
I just returned home after being away for five days. When I first walked in the door, I was ignored. Then Lizzie, always eager for a tummy rub, gave in and threw herself on the floor in front of my feet. Sucker! That's the way it is with beloved pets. Their loyalty bounces back. Their love is unconditional.

No comments: